Tony Novak profile picture
  "AskTony" column archive        


Most Popular

AskTony Archive

This Web site contains a compilation of more than a thousand consumer finance  columns written by Tony Novak from the 1980s through 2006, updated and reformatted for maximum usefulness today.  New material was added after 2010.

Content is the opinion of the author and does not represent the position of any other person or entity. Information is from sources believed to be reliable but cannot be guaranteed.

The author is paid for product endorsements and has an ownership or other financial interest in the businesses related to the topics covered.

New questions

Submit consumer finance questions at and health insurance questions at

Sponsored by: Insurance Exchange - your source of valuable information on state and federal health reform benefits.

Core Health Insurance - America's favorite mini-med insurance  with affordable premiums, freedom to choose providers, optional PPO discounts and guaranteed eligibility regardless of medical conditions.

Please support the Web sites that make publication of AskTony services possible.

Student internship in New York

originally posted: 11/22/2006  reposted: 2/18/2011 This post has not been recently reviewed or revised by the author and may be out of date. If in doubt, please send a new question or ask for an update.

Q: I am a student at North Carolina state University doing a summer internship at NY which will end mid ugust. My school does not provide medical insurance during summer, since I am enrolled in a summer job. Can I purchase short term insurance as a resident of NC for sixty days, and still get coverage in NY?

A: Yes, you can get short term medical insurance for the summer as long as you use the NC address on the application. The policy can be mailed to NC or just downloaded while you are in NY. The coverage is valid nationwide, including NY. Any of the plans listed at will provide stronge coverage.


More resources: