Tony Novak profile picture
  "AskTony" column archive        


Most Popular

AskTony Archive

This Web site contains a compilation of more than a thousand consumer finance  columns written by Tony Novak from the 1980s through 2006, updated and reformatted for maximum usefulness today.  New material was added after 2010.

Content is the opinion of the author and does not represent the position of any other person or entity. Information is from sources believed to be reliable but cannot be guaranteed.

The author is paid for product endorsements and has an ownership or other financial interest in the businesses related to the topics covered.

New questions

Submit consumer finance questions at and health insurance questions at

Sponsored by: Insurance Exchange - your source of valuable information on state and federal health reform benefits.

Core Health Insurance - America's favorite mini-med insurance  with affordable premiums, freedom to choose providers, optional PPO discounts and guaranteed eligibility regardless of medical conditions.

Please support the Web sites that make publication of AskTony services possible.

Reporting employer-provided health benefits on employees' W2

originally posted: 2/25/2012      last update:

Q: How do I report employees' health benefits on their W2 Form?

A: The cost of employer-sponsored health coverage is reported in Box 12 of Form W2 under a new code "DD". The effective date of this reporting requirement was delayed so that this is voluntary for smaller businesses with less than 250 employees this year.

In January 2013, when W2s are issued for 2012, the requirement will be in effect for smaller companies.

The reporting of employer-provided health coverage does not mean that these benefits are taxable. Employer-provided health benefits continue to be tax-free but this may change in future tax years.

Reporting of employer-provided health coverage is voluntary for most businesses in 2012. 

More resources:,,id=237894,00.html