Tony Novak profile picture
  "AskTony" column archive        


Most Popular

AskTony Archive

This Web site contains a compilation of more than a thousand consumer finance  columns written by Tony Novak from the 1980s through 2006, updated and reformatted for maximum usefulness today.  New material was added after 2010.

Content is the opinion of the author and does not represent the position of any other person or entity. Information is from sources believed to be reliable but cannot be guaranteed.

The author is paid for product endorsements and has an ownership or other financial interest in the businesses related to the topics covered.

New questions

Submit consumer finance questions at and health insurance questions at

Sponsored by: Insurance Exchange - your source of valuable information on state and federal health reform benefits.

Core Health Insurance - America's favorite mini-med insurance  with affordable premiums, freedom to choose providers, optional PPO discounts and guaranteed eligibility regardless of medical conditions.

Please support the Web sites that make publication of AskTony services possible.

Minimal taxable income

originally posted: 11/22/2006  reposted: 2/18/2011 This post has not been recently reviewed or revised by the author and may be out of date. If you notice an error or are in doubt, please send a new question by email or ask for an update. Email

Q: I am not working at all this year and do not expect to. In fact my only income is will be $3,600.00 from a CD. I know that the poverty level is $8,200.00 but will I have to still pay taxes on the interest from he CD? I know CD's are taxable income.

A: If this is your only income and you file taxes on your own (and not as someone else's dependent), then you will not owe any federal income tax. This is because even though interest is taxable income, you fall below the minimum total income for the year after taking the allowable "personal exemption" and "standard deduction" on the tax return. You do, however, have to file the tax return showing that you owe no tax.


More resources:

OnlineAdviser service details