Tony Novak profile picture
  "AskTony" column archive        


Most Popular

AskTony Archive

This Web site contains a compilation of more than a thousand consumer finance  columns written by Tony Novak from the 1980s through 2006, updated and reformatted for maximum usefulness today.  New material was added after 2010.

Content is the opinion of the author and does not represent the position of any other person or entity. Information is from sources believed to be reliable but cannot be guaranteed.

The author is paid for product endorsements and has an ownership or other financial interest in the businesses related to the topics covered.

New questions

Submit consumer finance questions at and health insurance questions at

Sponsored by: Insurance Exchange - your source of valuable information on state and federal health reform benefits.

Core Health Insurance - America's favorite mini-med insurance  with affordable premiums, freedom to choose providers, optional PPO discounts and guaranteed eligibility regardless of medical conditions.

Please support the Web sites that make publication of AskTony services possible.

Life insurance claim settlement

originally posted: 11/22/2006  reposted: 2/18/2011 This post has not been recently reviewed or revised by the author and may be out of date. If you notice an error or are in doubt, please send a new question by email or ask for an update. Email

Q: I have a policy on my mother with Guarantee Reserve Life Insurance Company. I would like to know how to go about cashing it in as she has passed on and I need to pay for the funeral.

A: This policy is not issued through an OnlineAdviser company; otherwise the claim settlement assistance would be included in this service. Assuming that you have the original policy, you only need to get an official stamped death certificate. (This is usually obtained from a local state services office). Send both to the insurance company at the address listed in the policy. Keep a copy of the policy and death certificate for your own records. If you do not have a copy of the policy, write to the insurer and ask them to do a search for the policy. Send a copy of whatever evidence you have that a policy exists. Again, keep a copy of all material for your own records.


More resources: Life Insurance Services