Tony Novak profile picture
  "AskTony" column archive        


Most Popular

AskTony Archive

This Web site contains a compilation of more than a thousand consumer finance  columns written by Tony Novak from the 1980s through 2006, updated and reformatted for maximum usefulness today.  New material was added after 2010.

Content is the opinion of the author and does not represent the position of any other person or entity. Information is from sources believed to be reliable but cannot be guaranteed.

The author is paid for product endorsements and has an ownership or other financial interest in the businesses related to the topics covered.

New questions

Submit consumer finance questions at and health insurance questions at

Sponsored by: Insurance Exchange - your source of valuable information on state and federal health reform benefits.

Core Health Insurance - America's favorite mini-med insurance  with affordable premiums, freedom to choose providers, optional PPO discounts and guaranteed eligibility regardless of medical conditions.

Please support the Web sites that make publication of AskTony services possible.

International student athlete

originally posted: 11/22/2006  reposted: 2/18/2011 This post has not been recently reviewed or revised by the author and may be out of date. If you notice an error or are in doubt, please send a new question by email or ask for an update. Email

Q: Do you know of any student health insurance that will cover me for inter-collegiate and international sports competitions?

A: All of the health insurance policies at exclude coverage for college sports. "American Health Shield", "Secure STM" and "Simple STM" are all popular choices for college athletes. However, when it comes to international medical expenses, none of the U.S. policies are suitable because they basically cover the cost of emergency stabilization and shipment back home. If you broke your arm and had it set in a cast while traveling, this may not be a covered cost on any U.S. health policy. Fortunately, you can supplement your U.S. coverage with an inexpensive international policy to cover this extra risk. Alternately, you could have a single worldwide major medical insurance policy (also listed on the same page at, but that would be far more expensive and is not available as "immediate online issue" like the other choices mentioned. In your case, it is better to have two separate insurance policies. You will find that the cost is not prohibitive for a student.


More resources:

International medical insurance listings