Tony Novak profile picture
  "AskTony" column archive        


Most Popular

AskTony Archive

This Web site contains a compilation of more than a thousand consumer finance  columns written by Tony Novak from the 1980s through 2006, updated and reformatted for maximum usefulness today.  New material was added after 2010.

Content is the opinion of the author and does not represent the position of any other person or entity. Information is from sources believed to be reliable but cannot be guaranteed.

The author is paid for product endorsements and has an ownership or other financial interest in the businesses related to the topics covered.

New questions

Submit consumer finance questions at and health insurance questions at

Sponsored by: Insurance Exchange - your source of valuable information on state and federal health reform benefits.

Core Health Insurance - America's favorite mini-med insurance  with affordable premiums, freedom to choose providers, optional PPO discounts and guaranteed eligibility regardless of medical conditions.

Please support the Web sites that make publication of AskTony services possible.

Immigrant with pre-existing medical condition

originally posted: 11/22/2006  reposted: 2/18/2011 This post has not been recently reviewed or revised by the author and may be out of date. If you notice an error or are in doubt, please send a new question by email or ask for an update. Email

Q: I was checking out the liberal benefits for pre-existing medical conditions of the “Inbound Immigrant” health plan but I do not know if I qualify. The six month exclusion on pre-existing medical conditions is more generous than any other health plan that I see. I moved to Florida a few years ago but I travel back home for business and to visit family. My first trip in the U.S. was more than two years ago. I was planning go go back and forth often but I’ve been here for a year now. Also, this plan would not cover me while travelling, right?

A: The plan is available if you first came to live in the U.S. less than two years ago (other than as a visitor). In your case it may be difficult to remember which trip was a visit and when you actually decided to make the U.S. your residence. Use your best judgement to determine eligibility. No one besides you can make that determination.


More resources: