Tony Novak profile picture
  "AskTony" column archive        


Most Popular

AskTony Archive

This Web site contains a compilation of more than a thousand consumer finance  columns written by Tony Novak from the 1980s through 2006, updated and reformatted for maximum usefulness today.  New material was added after 2010.

Content is the opinion of the author and does not represent the position of any other person or entity. Information is from sources believed to be reliable but cannot be guaranteed.

The author is paid for product endorsements and has an ownership or other financial interest in the businesses related to the topics covered.

New questions

Submit consumer finance questions at and health insurance questions at

Sponsored by: Insurance Exchange - your source of valuable information on state and federal health reform benefits.

Core Health Insurance - America's favorite mini-med insurance  with affordable premiums, freedom to choose providers, optional PPO discounts and guaranteed eligibility regardless of medical conditions.

Please support the Web sites that make publication of AskTony services possible.

Health Savings Account error

originally posted: 11/22/2006  reposted: 2/18/2011 This post has not been recently reviewed or revised by the author and may be out of date. If you notice an error or are in doubt, please send a new question by email or ask for an update. Email

Q: I just realized that I'm doing something that is probably very wrong. I financed my daughter's braces and have been making the payments (including interest) out of my HSA. Can I find out how much interest I've paid and pay it back into my account then just pay the interest out of another account? I'm already depositing the maximum amount allowable so if I deposit the interest back into the account, will that put me over the maximum allowed

A: Yes, assuming this is all in the current tax year then simply redeposit the amount of the interest back into the health savings account and the problem will be solved. These types of corrections are allowed; this will not cause an excessive contribution. If you made an error in a prior tax year the decision of whether or not to amend your previously filed tax return often depends on issues other than what we are discussing here. Generally, the amount of money involved this this type of error would not warrant filing an amended return.


More resources: