Tony Novak profile picture
  "AskTony" column archive        


Most Popular

AskTony Archive

This Web site contains a compilation of more than a thousand consumer finance  columns written by Tony Novak from the 1980s through 2006, updated and reformatted for maximum usefulness today.  New material was added after 2010.

Content is the opinion of the author and does not represent the position of any other person or entity. Information is from sources believed to be reliable but cannot be guaranteed.

The author is paid for product endorsements and has an ownership or other financial interest in the businesses related to the topics covered.

New questions

Submit consumer finance questions at and health insurance questions at

Sponsored by: Insurance Exchange - your source of valuable information on state and federal health reform benefits.

Core Health Insurance - America's favorite mini-med insurance  with affordable premiums, freedom to choose providers, optional PPO discounts and guaranteed eligibility regardless of medical conditions.

Please support the Web sites that make publication of AskTony services possible.

S-corp health insurance tax reporting

originally posted: 11/22/2006  reposted: 2/18/2011 This post has not been recently reviewed or revised by the author and may be out of date. If in doubt, please send a new question or ask for an update.

Q: How are the premiums for health insurance for an S-corporation owner reported on a W-2 form and the form 1120S?

A: There are three steps of the tax reporting: 1) the corporate tax return, 2) the form W-2, and 3) the individual tax return. On the Form 1120S corporate tax return the premiums are included in compensation to shareholders. On the W-2 the health insurance premiums paid for the 2% shareholders should be included in Box 1 with a memo in Box 14. The premiums would not be included in Box 3 & 5, the FICA & Medicare boxes. On the individual's Form 1040 the premiums are deducted on line 29. The net effect is that the premiums are deductible by the business and not taxable income to the employee.


More resources: