Tony Novak profile picture
  "AskTony" column archive        


Most Popular

AskTony Archive

This Web site contains a compilation of more than a thousand consumer finance  columns written by Tony Novak from the 1980s through 2006, updated and reformatted for maximum usefulness today.  New material was added after 2010.

Content is the opinion of the author and does not represent the position of any other person or entity. Information is from sources believed to be reliable but cannot be guaranteed.

The author is paid for product endorsements and has an ownership or other financial interest in the businesses related to the topics covered.

New questions

Submit consumer finance questions at and health insurance questions at

Sponsored by: Insurance Exchange - your source of valuable information on state and federal health reform benefits.

Core Health Insurance - America's favorite mini-med insurance  with affordable premiums, freedom to choose providers, optional PPO discounts and guaranteed eligibility regardless of medical conditions.

Please support the Web sites that make publication of AskTony services possible.

Insuring Indiana to New York to Connecticut

originally posted: 11/22/2006  reposted: 2/18/2011 This post has not been recently reviewed or revised by the author and may be out of date. If you notice an error or are in doubt, please send a new question by email or ask for an update. Email

Q: I have a question in using short term health insurance in New York State. I previously worked in New York City but quit a month ago and returned to Indiana where I have my driver license and voter registration card. I am returning to New York City for 3 months to study for a grad school exam. In September I will start my grad school in Connecticut. Does this mean that I can purchase a Short Term Health Insurance in Indiana and use the plan in New York City? Will there be any legal issues if I do need to use my plan in New York because I previously worked there?

A: Yes. Short term medical insurance is valid in all states including New York and Connecticut. This is one of the reasons it is so popular among young adults "on the move" with education, career and social travel. The only restriction is that the policy cannot be issued to a New York address, although you can change your address back to New York after coverage is issued. An address in Indiana, whether permanent or temporary, is sufficient to obtain this insurance. Prior locations of residence or travel have no bearing on eligibility. You may wish to consider a plan with renewability up to three years like Secure 12 x 3 that would likely take you through grad school years. You can always keep a series of shorter policies, but it is safer to have the 36 month renewability feature.


More resources:

Short term Health insurance in New York Short term health insurance listings for Indiana