Tony Novak profile picture
  "AskTony" column archive        


Most Popular

AskTony Archive

This Web site contains a compilation of more than a thousand consumer finance  columns written by Tony Novak from the 1980s through 2006, updated and reformatted for maximum usefulness today.  New material was added after 2010.

Content is the opinion of the author and does not represent the position of any other person or entity. Information is from sources believed to be reliable but cannot be guaranteed.

The author is paid for product endorsements and has an ownership or other financial interest in the businesses related to the topics covered.

New questions

Submit consumer finance questions at and health insurance questions at

Sponsored by: Insurance Exchange - your source of valuable information on state and federal health reform benefits.

Core Health Insurance - America's favorite mini-med insurance  with affordable premiums, freedom to choose providers, optional PPO discounts and guaranteed eligibility regardless of medical conditions.

Please support the Web sites that make publication of AskTony services possible.

Health Savings Account in childs name

originally posted: 11/22/2006  reposted: 2/18/2011 This post has not been recently reviewed or revised by the author and may be out of date. If you notice an error or are in doubt, please send a new question by email or ask for an update. Email

Q: Is it better to change my health savings account in my child’s name to avoid taxes? My Vanguard mutual fund gained about $1200 already this year and I want to avoid tax on this income.

A: Investment gains in a health savings account are not taxable income regardless of who owns the account so there is no reason to change account owners. Tax status is determined by the nature of the withdrawals; withdrawals for medical expenses are tax-free and those not for medical expense are subject to tax. See the tax section of the Frequently Asked Questions at


More resources:

Frequently Asked Questions About Health Savings Accounts