Tony Novak profile picture
  "AskTony" column archive        


Most Popular

AskTony Archive

This Web site contains a compilation of more than a thousand consumer finance  columns written by Tony Novak from the 1980s through 2006, updated and reformatted for maximum usefulness today.  New material was added after 2010.

Content is the opinion of the author and does not represent the position of any other person or entity. Information is from sources believed to be reliable but cannot be guaranteed.

The author is paid for product endorsements and has an ownership or other financial interest in the businesses related to the topics covered.

New questions

Submit consumer finance questions at and health insurance questions at

Sponsored by: Insurance Exchange - your source of valuable information on state and federal health reform benefits.

Core Health Insurance - America's favorite mini-med insurance  with affordable premiums, freedom to choose providers, optional PPO discounts and guaranteed eligibility regardless of medical conditions.

Please support the Web sites that make publication of AskTony services possible.

Flexible spending account to HSA

originally posted: 11/22/2006  reposted: 2/18/2011 This post has not been recently reviewed or revised by the author and may be out of date. If you notice an error or are in doubt, please send a new question by email or ask for an update. Email

Q: Can I roll the balance of my Flexible Spending Account into a Health Savings Account?

A: No, not only can these plans not rollover from another but in some cases you may not contribute anything to the health savings accounts until the expiration of the eligibility for benefits (including any grace period for extended claims submission) under the FSA. IRS issued a clarification at the end of 2005 that essentially requires employers to make amendments to their cafeteria plans or health FSAs known as "Mandatory Conversion from Health FSA to HSA-compatible Health FSA for All Participants" in order to allow employees to retain maximum benefits under HSAs. Unfortunately most employers have not made these amendments to their benefit plans so that participant's contributions to HSA plans in 2006 may be restricted. See IRS Notice 2005-86 or Internal Revenue Bulletin 2005-49 for more information.


More resources:

resource list goes here